A Signal Question for Ben et.al.

Sun Jun 23 13:30:48 EDT 2013

Jimmy,
That is an extremely long delay on that drop to red. That was on the
Southern Ry. N&W may be different.
On the N&W side, we do have a delay built in to the system that is designed
to allow for a locomotive traveling long hood forward at restricted speed
to pass a favorable signal before it drops. I don't know of an exact spec
on how long the delay is, but its normally between two to four seconds.
The new systems use a computer set delay to achieve it, and the old relay
systems used a series of slow release relays or timer relays. That
particular one looks to me like it needed an adjustment! But, that was
before my time.
...and I thought that I was the only one who noticed these things!

Ben Blevins
Lead Signalman