Mystery Picture

Fri Dec 28 09:44:40 EST 2012

Its my understanding that they were dupe transparencies. Ken Miller jump in here.

Larry Evans
Kenova, WV
Sent: Friday, December 28, 2012 6:51 AM
Subject: Re: Mystery Picture

I have the Vanishing Vistas card with this photo. The location is given as Troutville and the engine is 2123. The solid train of tank cars is to transport oil by rail during World War II because German submarines had disrupted the transport of oil along the Atlantic seaboard. The peak year for the oil trains was 1943. So the correct orientation of the photo is with the passing siding in the foreground, on the engineer's side of the locomotive. The Vanishing Vistas image (copyright 1972) was made from large size transparencies taken by N&W's company photographers. There may be a b&w version of this scene in the Virginia Tech image collection.

Back at the time these cards with N&W images were produced, there was some question whether the borrowed transparencies were ever returned to the railroad. I know they were transparencies because a Vanishing Vistas representative himself told me so at a convention long ago.

--Rick Morrison