Mystery Picture

Fri Dec 28 06:51:10 EST 2012

I have the Vanishing Vistas card with this photo. The location is given as
Troutville and the engine is 2123. The solid train of tank cars is to
transport oil by rail during World War II because German submarines had
disrupted the transport of oil along the Atlantic seaboard. The peak year
for the oil trains was 1943. So the correct orientation of the photo is
with the passing siding in the foreground, on the engineer's side of the
locomotive. The Vanishing Vistas image (copyright 1972) was made from
large size transparencies taken by N&W's company photographers. There may
be a b&w version of this scene in the Virginia Tech image collection.

Back at the time these cards with N&W images were produced, there was some
question whether the borrowed transparencies were ever returned to the
railroad. I know they were transparencies because a Vanishing Vistas
representative himself told me so at a convention long ago.

--Rick Morrison