Serial numbers on Virginian Railway lanterns

Tue Sep 25 20:46:49 EDT 2012

Colin and others,

I suspect that the Virginian had their employees "sign" for their lanterns, the records of which would have listed the serial numbers and date signed for. However, the chances of finding such records is probably very slim, to none. Unless someone just happens to find them, assuming that they were "saved" 50+ years ago, the odds against finding such records are great. It's possible that such records might be "hidden" among the volumes of materials owned by the N&W Historical Society. But, if they had already come across something like that, you would probably have heard from someone in that organization by now.

The only other way you might know "who" it was issued to, would be to actually obtain a lantern from the individual it was assigned to, or from a living relative who could positively identify it..

Things like lanterns, rule books, & switch keys, were signed for on lots of railroads. In some cases, if an employee lost a key, or lantern, he might be charged a small fee to get another one from the company.

Good luck!

Jeff Sanders