440 on the Pole Line - How Long, and Where? (NW Mailing List)

Wed May 16 13:06:05 EDT 2012

I miss all those pole lines. That was a big part of the environment
around the railroad and it seems empty without them.

Ed

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 11:36 AM, NW Mailing List wrote:

4400 volt power line (NOT 440) on Bristol Line and Hagerstown Line
retirement started in late 1980's when electronic track circuits
replaced DC circuits. Yes, with the emergence of DC many local power
feeds had taken over anyway. Retirement was completed in mid-90's but
many of the poles still remain in place. I doubt the wire remains but
have no way of telling from here. I don't think I can find out where
the substations were. Maybe that info is in NWHS archives somewhere.
John Marbury
Buford, GA