SD-45 1728

Tue Apr 17 10:09:04 EDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 8:03 PM, abram wrote:

> The wreck was a rear-end collision between two westbounds (during heavy

> fog) at Lee's Cross Roads, Pa., just east of Shippensburg, Pa. Lee's Cross

> Roads sits atop the watershed between the Potomac and Susquehanna Rivers.

> I have several none-too-good photos of the wreck and will be delighted to

> share them. What I don't have is the date of the incident.

I've been poking around and found this website, "Lurgan Branch History" (
http://www.nearthetracks.com/index.php/lurganhistorycontent ) with this
note:

Author note: On Oct 31, 1974 there was a derailment just east of CP Lees
when a coal drag ran into the rear of a stopped freight train on a very
foggy morning. I was there after the accident but didn't think to get any
pictures at the time. A local resident provided me with some photos of the
derailment. The quality is not the best, but I'll post them anyway.

Whoever created the page writes horrible code and the link is munged, but I
looked around his site and found a link to the photos:
http://www.nearthetracks.com/index.php/old-photos/category/6-wreckoct1974
They look like they were taken from a distance with an Instamatic
camera.

For whatever reason, this accident report didn't/hasn't made it into the
on-line DOT library at
http://ntl1.specialcollection.net/scripts/ws.dll?websearch&site=dot_railroads

But now we have a date.

Bruce in Blacksburg