N&W in 1912--Two items: Auto accident, Extend lines

Tue Mar 13 21:15:39 EDT 2012

Bluefield Daily Telegraph
Tue., April 9, 1912

IN CITY AND COALFIELD
------
Automobile Wrecks Porch Pillars
An automotive ran into the stone supports of the portico in front of the ladies' waiting room at the railroad station Saturday afternoon and tore out a number of the cut stones in one of the pillars and dislodged several blocks in the other pillar, wrecking one pillar entirely and displacing the other. The automobile was that of H. I. Shott, and his son and daughter, Jim and Lillian, were in the machine when the accident occurred, but were not hurt.
[H. I. Shott almost certainly was Hugh Ike Shott, the publisher of the Bluefield Daily Telegraph.]
------

Expects to Extend Lines
Senator J. Powell Royall and Arthur Davidson, of Tazewell county, are in the city en route to Rocky Gap. They are interested in the land which the New River, Holston and Western is trying to secure for right of way purposes. It is expected that commissioners will be appointed on Wednesday to assess such lands as the company desires to exercise its power of right of eminent domain over. The New River, Holston and Western Railway, as mentioned recently in the Dally Telegraph, expects to extend its lines over twenty miles and is acquiring right of way for this purpose.
------
Gordon Hamilton