N&W operations into DC ??

Wed Nov 9 12:36:52 EST 2011

Charley:

I thought of that possibility but there were a few interesting factors
to consider.

1) The R&D gobbled the Round Hill Branch to keep the N&W, SV line
(while in receivership) at bay. That was the closest approach.
2) To make the Lynchburg connection, remember we are not post 1911
with the "new line" but the old original line crossing the James River
above I think Daniels Island. Not an insurmountable task but still an
issue, not to mention the reverse direction of the cars coming from
the west (Bristol, Roanoke, etc.).

I agree that what you suggest sound logical, especially IF we consider
that it might only be an interchange of cars and not motive power.

Harry:

Regarding Pot Yard, yes, PY didn't open until until August 1906 but
its genesis was around 1900-1903 and all the changes which took place
in the first years of the decade all were geared to improving service
and that is what I was referring.

The stuff which occurred was in concert with each other and I'll list
them not in order of occurrence but as happening;

Pot Yard
New Alexandria station and elimination of passenger street running
thru Alexandria
New alignment of track from Long bridge thru Alexandria.
New Southern Rwy. trackage - double-tracked, removed kinks, etc.
New interlocking which became AF, formerly Virginia Midland Jct.
New Long Bridge
New Highway bridge
Washington Union Station and thru tracks for all RR's
elimination of separate stations; B&O and PRR
Raising of Bluemont Branch above PY tracks onto viaduct.
Rosslyn Connecting RR (1896)

and much, much more ........

Bob Cohen

> Bob:

> Being a Lynchburg resident, I've an inclination to say it was through here. Ease of train transfer from RR line to RR line sort of persuades me toward this thinking. Perhaps this was the beginning of the Tennessean, Birmingham Special, etc. and was eventually trimmed to Monroe for feasibility.

> My two cents.

> Charlie Long

I seen occasional references in the 1890-1900 era of N&W train