N&W in 1911--Featured in ad

Mon May 16 09:42:33 EDT 2011

Bluefield was not "smokey," but the wind would blow cinders into your eyes if
you were on Princeton Avenue on a windy day. I guess the smoke ordinarily went
straight up. There was a lot more sky than smoke, so we never considered it a
problem. Besides, the N&W frowned on black smoke. And remember, until 1950 we
had the electrics.     Jim Nichols

Sent: Mon, May 16, 2011 7:36:09 AM
Subject: Re: N&W in 1911--Featured in ad

"Clean Mountain Air" ad doesn't mention the hundred of steam engine movements
per day.  :-)

Which brings me to the real question: was Bluefield, or Williamson "smokey", or
did the wind blow smoke away from town?
Mike Rector