Injectors

Thu May 12 13:07:03 EDT 2011

In a Worthington Feedwater Heater, like what was used on N&W wether it be
the newer type SA that is 3 separate pieces (A's, J's and Y6b) or the older
1 piece BL (most Y's, K's, some M2's and E's) they work the same.

A 1. turbine cold water pump puts tender water into the 2. heating chamber
were exhaust steam mixes with the water to raise its temperature. Lastly 3.
a piston type hot water pump puts the hot water into the boiler.

If the engine is not being "worked" cold water would be pumped into the
boiler which would cause thermal stresses. It this case an injector is used
since the water is heated from the steam that is used to inject the water.

John Rhodes