Another Bear story

Sat Nov 27 11:14:56 EST 2010

Years ago when N&W ran the Glasgow Turn I was listening to my scanner at
Nace, Virginia. When they doubled the hill they would leave a portion of the
coal train at Lithia, take the first part of the train to Troutville and
the engines would run light back to Lithia for the second part of the train.
Upon their return to Troutville, they would drop the second cut of cars on
the main and run around the front cut on the passing siding. A man would
drop off at the second cut and wait for the locomotives to couple to the
first cut and then back up to pick up to make the coupling. I heard the head
end crew radio to the man on the ground and say something like, "We just saw
a cut little bear cub up here"... a couple of seconds later I heard,
"Uhhh... His momma might be around here somewhere..." The reply, "I've already
climbed on top of the cars!"

Thanks,

Richard D. Shell
Troutville, VA

In a message dated 11/27/2010 10:42:55 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,