Collier Yard

Tue Oct 26 11:02:55 EDT 2010

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Mon, Oct 25, 2010 8:00 pm
Subject: Re: "Bottling the Air"

When I started working as a car inspector on SCL in 1971 at Collier, the yard foreman(Conductor) bled the cars off when he walked and put on the chalk marks indicating the track number that the cars were to be switched into.

Walt Gay

Hey Walt:
This has absolutely nothing to do with air brakes. Since you worked at
Collier and no doubt know the territory, I have a question. In VDOT's
plan to extend Amtrak service to Norfolk, they've selected a route that
brings passenger trains down CSX through Ettrick (Petersburg), across
the Appomattox River and apparently through a proposed connection
north of Collier to connect with NS's Petersburg Belt Line. It means
adding an additional track to CSX's Appomattox River crossing. You
have any ideas why VDOT didn't select to route the trains on the Old
Main Line to Petersburg, then use ACL's Old Main Line Petersburg to
Dunlop ? It would eliminate 5 additional miles. Harry Bundy