NW-Mailing-List Digest, Vol 57, Issue 16

Sun Oct 24 22:59:29 EDT 2010

The 12 track, a short yard track the last over at the east end of Wilcoe
took on the nickname "the Steal Track" after this caper. Seems the
ill-gotten goods were set over on this track for "forwarding."

Grant Carpenter

> Message: 1

> Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 10:59:24 -0400

> Subject: Re: Coal crapping

> Neill:

> So far the discussion has been based thievery based on a lump or two or

maybe what a man could

> throw off a loaded hopper. Back in the 70's, N&W had "coal crappers"

that made these people

> look "penney-ante". There's a prescribed method of distributing empty

hoppers so that every mine

> gets an equitable share. When there's a demand for coal, it's important

that every mine gets its

> proportion of what hoppers are available-- maybe not all they need. . .

but their fair share. The

> proposed distribution of the empties is PUBLISHED. The Car Distributor

is responsible for seeing

> each mine gets the number of hoppers designated in the publication.

> Back in the 70's, there had been an increase in Lamberts Point dumpings.

Hoppers were scarce.

> Mines were crying for empties. A friend had been transferred from Asst.

Trainmaster at Wilcoe

> to Operations Planning in Roanoke. He told me the Asst. Superintendent

had called and asked

> if he wanted to go to Roanoke. This friend asked the Asst. Super,

"what's the job ?" The Asst.

> Super replied,"I don't know, but you've got 20 seconds to answer." So he

thinks it through --

> he has a family living in the wilds of West Virginia with two children

getting an education. "OK,

> I'll move."

> Time passes and one afternoon, he (and I) are told to report for a

special project at 7:00 AM the

> next day. Later on, I'm told there's no need for me to report. At 7:00

AM, he reports and finds himself

> standing before R. F. Dunlap, VPO. Mr. Dunlap wants to know about the

distribution of empty

> hoppers. HIs answer satisfies Dunlap. Later on that day, the N&W

Property Protection cops

> bring the Pocahontas Division Asst. Superintendent Bluefield to Roanoke

in hand-cuffs. Seems

> that he, several car distributors, and others have manipulated the empty

hopper distribution to

> their own benefit. Instead of cash, the railroad officials receive

loaded coal cars from a fictious

> mine for their co-operation in diverting empties. Train crews on one of

the mine runs started asking

> questions when they couldn't put the pieces together. So my friends'

transfer to Roanoke was a