Bucklands

Sun Oct 24 22:38:09 EDT 2010

"L.W." Buckland is deceased, but I recently spoke with his brother Robert,
also an engineer in a family full of Pocahontas Division engineers. L.W.
first hired with the Pennsy for 2 years while the N&W was not yet hiring
enginemen. Robert hired on the N&W with a bridge gang to stay in Bluefield
and became the first engineman hired ('42) since the hiring freeze of '26,
giving him seniority on the Division. Some of his favorite runs were with
1200's on 77/78 and second 15/16. He would skip the pusher on 78 and hook
the 1200 up higher to climb Elkhorn. One night while running the 1242 on
78, as he past the drive-in at Sandy Huff, "the whole countryside lit up
bright as day."

Grant Carpenter

hours. Scioto Divison

> had ID (mean inter-divisonal) crews that ran from Portsmouth to

Bluefield. Soon after

> the ID runs were initiated, one of the Portsmouth crews sideswiped a

train at Farm. NTSB

> investigators concluded that the Portsmouth crew missed the distant

signal, which was

> only in view for a few brief seconds. Harry Bundy

> Thank you Mr. Bundy;

> Was that after the road had been converted to all diesel. I rode a time

freight from Bluefield to Portsmouth Ohio in the mid 70's. My brother was
head brakeman, and Mr. L.W. Buckland was the engineer. It was Friday before
the 4th of July weekend. We road a van all the way back to Bluefield that
night.