Riding Amtrak (NW Mailing List)

Tue Aug 31 13:24:42 EDT 2010

Harry,

As usual, you hit the nail on the head. I have no experience riding N&W
trains, but I used to ride Great Northern trains, and even Canadian Pacific
trains. Up to the end, their passenger service was superb. I think it
accounts in great part for the place railroads hold in my esteem. Today,
the freight railroad have no "dog in the fight" and no incentive to make
Amtrak look good. As far as they are concerned, they would just as soon see
Amtrak go away. That is too bad, because if the public saw a connection
between Amtrak and the freight railroads, then maybe the freight railroads
would be more accomodating of Amtrak. My experiences with Amtrak have
generally been favorable. I have ridden Amtrak's Empire Buildier, Southwest
Chief, Coast Starlight, City of New Orleans, and other locals and regional
service. BNSF does the best to support Amtrak, and does try to keep Amtrak
trains on schedule. UP could care less, and most delays I have experienced
on Amtrak trains have been on UP trackage. For example, the routine for
Amtrak's Coast Starlight is that if it can leave on time from Seattle, it
will be on time until it reaches UP trackage in Portland, then it will be
late into Los Angeles. Regardless if it leaves on time from Los Angeles, it
will usually be late into Seattle, although it is amazing how much time they
can make up when UP and BNSF allow them to. We left 8 hours late from Santa
Barbara on one trip, but arrived only 1 hour late into Tacoma. Locally,
we've dubbed the Coast Starlight as the "Coast Starlate". Amtrak does its
best to ensure passenger connections are met with other Amtrak trains. I've
seen them take passengers off north of Sacramento and bus them ahead to make
connections with the eastbound Zephyr. I've seen them do the same north of
LA to make connections with the easbound Southwest Chief. I give credit to
the Amtrak crews for making the best of what they have. And taking the
Coast Starlight is worth the trip regardless of whether it is late or not.
So is the Empire Builder. But you won't find the same fine gourmet food
served in the diner that one would have had when the Great Northern ran the
passenger service.

Cheers,
Kert Peterson
Fircrest, WA