An Inland Voyage - from the Robert Longden Archive

Mon Aug 30 03:23:28 EDT 2010

I'm not sure if I've commended this exhbition - of life on the Oxford and
Coventry Canals, before. It is a tad off-topic, but these photographs of the
1940s and 1950s, of a way of live already in decline, and soon to end, and the
picturing of people and the way of life echoes, to me at least, Winston Link's
own philosophy.

I only managed to get to see this exhibition, in Coventry's Herbert Art Gallery
and Museum, yesterday, and it closes today. I hope that there's a chance that
it will tour - perhaps even to the United States (it would seem to be a great
match for the OWL Museum in Roanoke).

http://www.theherbert.org/index.php/home/whats-on/an-inland-voyage
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/jun/22/canal-lives-photographs-1940s-longden

Showing during the exhibition was this video - though it doesn't seem to be
available commercially - which is wonderfully evocative of the era.

http://www.theiac.org.uk/film-making2/splendid-people.html

Dominic
London

Do join, or support, Walk Like a Pirate on Saturday September 18th and help
fund the Pirates new fully accessible broadbeam boat
http://www.thepiratecastle.org/

Sponsor me on-line at http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/zorro