Heartland Corridor

Wed Aug 18 14:53:48 EDT 2010

Amen

Debbie Hutchinson

N&W / NS Rail fan

Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:06 PM
To: NW Mailing List
Subject: RE: Heartland Corridor

Customers ship their goods over railways that meet their business needs
best. Cost/schedule/handling! A Railway System is a Transportation
TOOL owned by shareholders. Track/right-of-way quality, locomotive
dependability, rolling stock availability/dependability, train routing
with on-time scheduling, operated by quality, caring, engaged employees
are the ingredients a customer wants when he chooses a transportation
supplier. I've likely photographed 95% of the tunnel portals effected
by the Hartland Corridor Project prior to the project they are a part of
N&W history I also mourn the loss of position light signals, block
towers with Armstrong machines, cabs (cabooses), early diesels, and
steam locomotives. Cost effective/efficiency improvements to the railway
over time took away all of these. Had NS gone to the lengths required
when raising the roofs of tunnels that would be needed to maintain
aesthetically pleasing tunnel portals it would have greatly increased
the cost of the project. As a N&W fan I like the old tunnels but as an
NS stockholder I'd rather see that money spent on new locomotives or
track/right-of-way improvements, or upgraded facilities or....... The
purpose of a corporation's management is to increase shareholders
wealth. NS management does this well..........and as long as the tunnel
clearances allow for double stacks to move between Norfolk and the
mid-west the less than "pretty" tunnel portals are of no concern to them
or me as a shareholder. Progress does have its costs and I want a
solid, consistent ROE as related to my NS investment.

Ed Painter; Narrows, VA living in Russellville, AR