Heartland Corridor

Wed Aug 18 14:15:16 EDT 2010

Well said.

Nelson Burks
Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:05 PM
Subject: RE: Heartland Corridor

Customers ship their goods over railways that meet their business needs best. Cost/schedule/handling! A Railway System is a Transportation TOOL owned by shareholders. Track/right-of-way quality, locomotive dependability, rolling stock availability/dependability, train routing with on-time scheduling, operated by quality, caring, engaged employees are the ingredients a customer wants when he chooses a transportation supplier. I've likely photographed 95% of the tunnel portals effected by the Hartland Corridor Project prior to the project they are a part of N&W history I also mourn the loss of position light signals, block towers with Armstrong machines, cabs (cabooses), early diesels, and steam locomotives. Cost effective/efficiency improvements to the railway over time took away all of these. Had NS gone to the lengths required when raising the roofs of tunnels that would be needed to maintain aesthetically pleasing tunnel portals it would have greatly increased the cost of the project. As a N&W fan I like the old tunnels but as an NS stockholder I'd rather see that money spent on new locomotives or track/right-of-way improvements, or upgraded facilities or... The purpose of a corporation's management is to increase shareholders wealth. NS management does this well....and as long as the tunnel clearances allow for double stacks to move between Norfolk and the mid-west the less than "pretty" tunnel portals are of no concern to them or me as a shareholder. Progress does have its costs and I want a solid, consistent ROE as related to my NS investment.

Ed Painter; Narrows, VA living in Russellville, AR