Suggestions Visiting WV/VA/MD

Sat Jul 17 13:01:44 EDT 2010

Just off the top of my head, although not exclusively N&W, since you're
covering three states:

Hagerstown MD; interesting yard area and a museum. And the whole Shenandoah
Valley from Roanoke to Hagerstown
Princeton WV; yard, reproduction VGN depot.
Roanoke: NWHS archives if open, and as noted VMT and OWL.
VGN from Mullens up to Deepwater/VACO or (my personal favorite)up the
Winding Gulf (N&W after 1959 of course), and from Mullens west to Gilbert
(the only place served by all three Pochahontas roads IIRC)
COHS archives and Heritage Center in Clifton Forge, VA (okay; it's not N&W,
but it's still interesting, I think).
Beckley, including the Exhibition Coal Mine.
And, depending how far you're going in MD, there's Cumberland and the WM
Scenic, and the B&O museum in Baltimore (again, not N&W but still worth
seeing, I think).

And for mines, grab some of the reference material on Southern WV and a big
map. Depending on your endurance, there's a lot to try to jam in two
weeks. Have fun. Take a picture or two.

Frank Bongiovanni