N&W Steam at VTM

Thu Jul 8 08:02:47 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 6:32 AM, NW Gene wrote:

> Are we ready should NS give the okay for excursions?

> I would assume that the J- 611 is ready to run after some inspection tests.

> I understand that the A-1218 came back from Birmingham shops only

> cosmetically conditioned for display.

Steve Lee, manager of steam for Union Pacific, attended the auction when NS
unloaded everything from its steam program. He posted remarks about his
visit to the RAILROAD listserv, which I asked him to expand upon, especially
his assessment of the 1218. They are posted here:
http://filebox.vt.edu/users/bharper/nwrwy/1218.html

Unless someone has lots of ready cash, the A is pretty much destined to
remain a static display. I believe discussions over the years have
established that we are pretty lucky to have her in Roanoke.

Bruce in Blacksburg