Virginia Diner, Wakefield question

Tue Mar 9 22:23:54 EST 2010

Charlie,

The Virginia Diner website identifies the rr car as a Sussex, Surry and
Southampton RR (actually Surry, Sussex and Southampton Ry) car. The SS&S
was a narrow gauge railroad that crossed the N&W at Wakefield on its way
north to wharves at Scotland, VA (see "The Company" by H. Temple Crittenden,
1967, for an account of the SS&S and the parent lumber company.).

Regarding the disposition of the rr car, I understand that my first cousin,
once removed, is the manager of the Virginia Diner. He might be able to
determine what happened to the car, but because it was a wooden car, I
suspect it was scrapped.

Gordon Hamilton