Crossing gates

Fri Oct 2 06:26:11 EDT 2009

The state pays for the installation of a new crossing. Then it
becomes the railroad's responsibility from then on to maintain it,
test it, and keep it working.

The oldest equipment I know of was the Magnetic Flagman, more commonly
known as the wig-wag signal. As for gate mechanisms and flashing
lights, they used Western Railroad Supply (WRRS) quite a bit, as
there's still some of that equipment out there. They also used some
Union Switch & Signal crossing equipment, Western Cullen Hayes, and
Safetran.

NS is currently using Safetran for its crossing equipment.

Ben Blevins