N&W in 1909--Rail buckle

Wed Apr 22 15:14:29 EDT 2009

That reminds me of a story my granddad, Virginian engineer W.R. (Bill)
Bloyd told me about an incident that happened in his first year as a Virginian
fireman. He told me that in the summer of 1924 (one of the hottest on record)
he was firing on an eastbound work extra out of Victoria. He said that
several miles west of Kenbridge, the train hit a place where the rails had
buckled outward from the heat, causing the engine and train to crunch down on the
ties. He said the engineer panicked and jumped off, leaving Granddad and
the head-end brakeman on the engine. Granddad said they got the train stopped
and climbed down to survey the damage, and saw the engineer climbing back up
the enbankment as the conductor came charging up from the caboose. He said
the conductor grabbed the engineer by the front of his overalls, shook him
and yelled "You SOB, it's no wonder the Germans were so hard to whip, they
must have had cowards like you fightin' em".

Greg Harrod