Fwd: Locomotive Cab to be Delivered Wednesday

Wed Apr 8 19:34:57 EDT 2009

Strasburg has something like this and I can guarantee as a complete novice at locomotive operation, it was a very worthwhile experience. The interaction between the controls and the video was probably a lot more sophisticated than it appeared, but it was an eye-opener to me as well as others that happened by when I was trying to "drive the locomotive" as one onlooker put it.

I wish Bev and VMT the very best in their rehab of the VMT. They arguably have on display an example of the most efficient locomotive (investment, operation cost, gross ton-mile/train hr) ever built (1218), and an example of the fastest 4-8-4 ever put on rails based on first-hand documentation (611 standing in for 610). The SD-40 cab is a welcome addition. If they can add some of Strasburg's video experience, so much the better.

Dave Stephenson