Any Milk Trains on the N&W?

Sun Feb 15 13:34:16 EST 2009

I recall that in the 1940s Train # 5 came through Pulaski on its way from
Roanoke to Bristol every morning. It was due in Pulaski at 9:27 AM according
to the 3/16/46 Timetable that I have (Table #7), but it was invariably late
because it made numerous stops between Roanoke and Pulaski in order chiefly to
pick up/drop off mail and milk. I always considered it to be a "milk train."
For the fun of it, as a train-loving teenager I once took the train from
Pulaski to Bristol and back on a nice summer day - probably in 1943 or 44. My
recollection is that it seemed to stop at every town and made flag-stops too.
But my recollection also is that the train, early in the 40s, was numbered 9,
not 5. My memory, however, is open to question.

John A. Carnahan (age 78)
Columbus, Ohio

In a message dated 2/15/2009 12:30:40 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,