N&W in 1908--Two fatalities

Tue Dec 30 22:52:20 EST 2008

Imbibing of spirits? Among Italians?

Not a chance!

EdKing
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 10:32 PM
Subject: N&W in 1908--Two fatalities

Bluefield Daily Telegraph
January 3, 1909

CITY AND COALFIELD
------
Two Italians Hit by Train

At Eckman yesterday morning two Italians were walking the track when train No. 7 came along and before the engineer could see the men on a curve they were both knocked from the track. One was killed and the other was taken to Miner's Hospital where his injuries are considered serious and recovery unlikely.
-----
Killed by a Train

Mike Vataso, aged 30 was killed just east of Davy yesterday morning while walking the track. Vataso met his death in the same manner in which many are killed on this and other railroads every year. He stepped from the east bound track to the west bound track to escape an oncoming train and stepped directly in front of an extra freight which killed him instantly. This is one of the most unfortunate accidents which can happen because it could be so easily avoided.
------
[There are far more articles in the Bluefield newspaper about employees and trespassers killed and injured than the number that I forward in this forum. There must be an average of three or four such incidents reported each week. I included this article because it involved two, or maybe three fatalities on the same day, which was a Saturday. That leads to the suspicion that some weekend imbibing of spirits may have been a factor.]

Gordon Hamilton