1958 - Farewell to Steam on the N&W

Sat Jul 5 17:52:12 EDT 2008

As Jim Nichols pointed out, these locomotives only needed to cover
the pre-merger N&W.

According to the article, the 268 were to be added to the 198 that
the N&W already had. This would make a total of 466 diesels. What I
found interesting was that they were planning to use the remaining
serviceable mileage on 60 steam locomotives even after buying enough
to completely dieselize operations. I imagine that someone realized
that maintaining those last 60 was going to cost more than the value
of those remaining miles.

Another way to view this is that the N&W bought 268 diesels to
replace 262 steam locomotives. One of the chief benefits of diesels
is their higher availability, that is they spend less time in the
shop being maintained. If the diesels were more available, then why
did it take more of them to do the same job? Because the N&W steam
locomotives more than made up for their extra time in the shop by
working harder, pulling more tonnage per engine than their younger
diesel counterparts.

It would be interesting to compare the gross annual ton-miles of the
1958 N&W versus today's Norfolk Southern. Can someone share those
figures with us?

Ron Davis