1908 - "Not so" Says Mr Johnson

Wed Mar 19 22:54:03 EDT 2008

Roanoke Times - March 17, 1908

"NOT SO" SAYS MR JOHNSON

President of N. & W. Says Road Will Furnish All Cars Needed

Despite the fact that several operators have said that the Norfolk
& Western has steadily proven very slow in furnishing cars for the
delivery of coal from the Pocahontas fields, President L. E. Johnson
is confident that such talk is "bosh" and, in effect, has said so in
a letter to the president of the Chamber of Commerce at Bluefield, W.
Va., where the rumor was as current as in Roanoke.
Mr. Johnson, in his letter, says:
"The rumor that you tell me is current in Bluefield, that this
company does not want business and is trying to produce hard times in
order to cut down wages is so absurd that I am at a loss to know in
what language to contradict it. Anyone who would originate such a
charge or who would give it currency by repeating it with his
approval has probably already made up his mind not to be convinced to
the contrary either by statements or resolutions, and hence I imagine
it would be idle to make an attempt so to do.
"I do not, however, believe that this suggestion comes from any of
the patrons of our road or from any of its employes.
"The policy of this company does not change, but its business
affairs must conform to changing conditions, else the time will not
be far distant when it would be unable to carry out any policy of any kind.
"Those who have taken the trouble to study the situation with
reference to this company must realize that its consistence has been
to aid in every way within its power progressive development of the
local communities dependent upon it for transportation facilities.
This policy has been inaugurated and maintained because the company
has felt well assured that in the long run such a policy is the
safest and best for the prosperity of the railroad itself. Our entire
investment has been made upon that belief and it is the confident
assurance of the owners of the road as well as of its management,
that this theory is founded upon good common sense and in the end
will win out. At least we are not prepared to give it up yet and it
will take harder times than have yet come for the Norfolk & Western
Railway Company to undertake to discourage in any way the business
along the lines of its rails, either from the wicked motive imputed
to it by the rumor or from any other reason whatsoever. As a matter
of fact, it believes, as the result of many years work on that line,
that every motive of self interest induces it to encourage local
traffic and the development of local industry."

- Ron Davis, Roger Link