"Jawn" Henry

Sun Feb 17 16:55:33 EST 2008

N&W didn't choose it. Comstock, editor of Railroad Magazine, as far as I can tell, was the first to use the name (before the 2300 was delivered). It had been referred to as STEL (steam turbine electric), and Comstock suggested that something more "masculine" was in order. So he suggested Jawn Henry. I think he even suggested that N&W employees were already using that name, but in my opinion this was just editorial license. I believe he was the one who originated the name. It stuck! Jim Nichols
Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2008 11:12 AM
Subject: RE: "Jawn" Henry

The "steel driving man" was a ledgend on the C&O -- why did N&W choose Jawn Henry??Ron H.

The name was taken from the legendary black construction worker "Jawn Henry"
who pitted his hammer and drill against a steam powered pile driver and died
in the attempt. Some of us probably know the song. As far as I know, it
was always "Jawn"

Bob McKell
Chillicothe OH