Signal Demise/position lights/Searchlight signal

Sat Feb 16 04:26:08 EST 2008

As to the question about where I saw that searchlight signal, it was in the NW Western Division, near Pearisburg, Va. I found it just before a bridge crossing over the New River from the NW side to the old Virginian side of the river.
Thanks again,
Ken McWilliams

I believe you're referring to the eastbound signals that are at the control point called Celco... these are visible from the westbound lane of US 460 as you pass over the former Virginian. These were CPLs, but were replaced in the late 90s with newer Safetrans (I think) 'stoplight' style signals. There are very few former Virginian 'searchlight' type signals left, mainly in the Elmore area. (The ones at Oakvale were taken down recently...)

I look forward to meeting you at the Archives in March.

Robb Fisher
RFDI