N&W in 1903 -- Accidents Come in Threes

Sun Feb 3 20:22:01 EST 2008

[The following three articles were in the same issue of the Bluefield Daily Telegraph for October 25, 1903:]

DRUNKEN MAN KILLED BY PASSENGER TRAIN
------
Body of Leslie Johnson was Carried Nine Miles on Pilot of Engine
------
[This involved passenger train No. 1 at Thaxton, VA. Details are omitted here.]

BONE OF BROKEN LEG DRIVEN INTO GROUND -- REMARKABLE WRECK ON NORTH FORK
------
Engineer Wm. Dougherty and conductor Jas. Godfey Injured
-----
Conductor was Buried Under Tons of Coal and Engineer Suffered Frightful Fracture of Leg
------
[This involved a run away train on the North Fork Branch. Details are omitted here.]

STUDENT KILLED BY TRAIN
------
Salem, Va., Oct. 24 -- Cadet J. M. Tinsley, a senior in the battery at the Virginia Polytechnic Institute at Blacksburg, Va., was killed in front of the Norfolk and Western passenger depot here yesterday morning. Young Tinsley was traveling on a freight train to Richmond, Va., where he was going to see the football game between V. P. I. and the University of Virginia, which took place today. He fell from the train and was ground under the wheels. His body was terribly mangled.
A coroner's jury held an inquest. Eight representatives of his class at the V. P. I. came to Salem today and accompanied the remains to Culpeper, Va., the home of the unfortunate young man.

Gordon Hamilton