History on Steam Crane

Sun Jan 27 14:04:23 EST 2008

Hi Bob,
Thanks for this basic info on the steam crane. Yes it is still sitting in the same location as it was when I went to see it last year.
am I right in thinking that wreck derricks can last longer since they are not used every day like locomotives were? I would think that you wouldn't have to fire them unless there was a wreck with in range of it and that it could be fired and brought up to steam on the trip to the wreck site. There by it wouldn't be fired every day and might site for months at a time between actual work.

Is there any other history that is significant to this particular crane? We are looking for all the info we can get if at all possible. We want to document it as good as we can.

Thanks
Andrew
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2008 15:32 PM
Subject: Re: History on Steam Crane

5149087
Wreck Derrick, 120 Tons
Built 5-10
Manufacturer--Industrial Brownhoist Works, Bay City, MI
Serial Number - 2230
Steam Powered
1st N&W Number - 4974
Renumbered to 514908 on 4-2-28 at Shenandoah, VA.
Assigned to Roanoke, VA. wreck train until 8-65 and then retired.
10-28-66 Sold to Virginia Iron & Pipe Scrapyard at Roanoke, VA.
As of 1-21-08 Still in scrapyard with a Boom tender (flat car).

Bob Bowers

Who's never won? Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL Music.