9 light PL arm

Fri Jan 4 23:13:44 EST 2008

Well Larry, you certainly got me on this one! I CAN'T explain it. It's not in any of my old rulebooks or timetables.

Now, it can be done under PRR rules. My PRR chart dated 12 July 1941 shows Rule 281 Clear as three vertical lights no marker. Rule 285 Approach as three diagonal right to left decending, no marker. Rule 289 Permissive-Block as three left to right decending, no marker. And, Rule 292 Stop as three horizontal, again no marker. So, theoretically, a PRR signal could in the right conditions have done this.

But, we're assuming this is an N&W PL signal. If this were a PRR signal, then why is there an N&W Y class engine in front of it? Why is the signal on the wrong side of the tracks for the N&W? Why is there a service platform in front of the signal arm, as well as behind it? A lot of things about this don't look standard to the N&W.

You sure found a good one! This ones got me scratching my head... I just don't know!

Ben Blevins

Harry and Ben

Here is the photo

Larry