Class A ? & a comment

Sun Dec 9 00:49:51 EST 2007

Speaking of Russian rails, check out the Smithsonian TransSiberian Express tours for 2008 - not your regular coach cars by any means (with a price tag to match).

As you'll see from the time of this email, I am in Sakhalin now, and have taken the local train from Yuzhno to Nogliki many times over the past 5 years. The company I'm working with has its own car and runs on the old Japanese pre-war trackage (narrow guage). Not a bad trip but be sure to use the "facilities" well before the station - the "conductresses" (more properly styled "wardens") shut and lock the doors a good 30 minutes before the stop - and you do not want to have to use the facilities inside the station.

When they send over petroleum tank cars from the mainland (standard Russian guage) they hoist them by a crane onto undercarriages for the narrow guage tracks in Sakhalin.

Always an adventure....

Ed Svitil

The wonderful book by Bob Lewis, whom I traveled with across Russia on the TransSiberian in 1991 has one bad caption concerning the N&W showing a westbound making a very determined pull up to the KENOVA BRIDGE but listed as EASTbound.

OAKIE G. FORD
IRONTON, OH

Sent: Friday, December 07, 2007 8:36 AM
Subject: Re: Class A ? & a comment

"Incidentally, the picture that you attached appears to have been copied from a publication with a caption that places the locale in Roanoke. Both Louis Newton and I do not believe the scene is in Roanoke. We think it could be Lamberts Point."

Gordon,
Thanks for taking the time to research the Wilson Radiators.
That picture of the Class A was the second from and old article that I have posted in the past few weeks. If you remember, the first was of a Y Class double heading with a K2 Class. The caption with that photo stated the locos were a Class A and J. So, with that mistake in mind, it wouldn't surprise me that the other picture's caption was mistaken also.

From what I have learned over the years and from what has taken place on this forum in the past few weeks in regard to locations, I am very leary as to what is said in captions. Captions are not always correct and at times seem to be thrown together on a whim by the author or whoever did the captioning. I found one in a very prominate new book on the N&W.
So be careful that you don't go around betting your hard earned money based solely on what some caption says, you just might get proven wrong!
Jimmy Lisle