Rail 101

Thu Oct 25 18:26:52 EDT 2007

In a message dated 10/25/2007 12:56:47 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org writes:

What is "head-free" rail and what does it look like?

Jim:
Certainly I'm no authority on rail, but here's a layman's view.

Rail varies according to weight (per yard), metallurgical content,
and CONTOUR, among others.

CONTOUR - think of rail as having a base - that's the part that
rests on the tie plates, a web, which is the thin perpendicular
column, and the head - the part above the web where car
wheels ride.

In retrospect, I believe Dave Stephenson is correct - "PS" rail
had a shorter web and a heftier head than "RE" rail. "RE",
incidentally was the design of American Railway Engineers,
hence "RE".

"Head Free" rail - one more definition please - the filet. The
filet is the point where the web connects with the head. The
head on "head free" rail was triangular - shaped. One point
of the triangle made the filet (where the head joined the
web). One point made the gauge-side of the rail, the other
point made the field side of the rail. This rail was popular
in the late 20's and early 30's. I'd certainly like to know what
advantage it had.

There was a derailment on the CP in the mid-90's involving
hazardous material. Investigation revealed that the derailment
was the result of a head and web separation in 100# head-free
rail rolled in 1947, VGN's main line was laid primarily in 131#
RE rail. After being placed in service, the #131 rail became
subject of many head and web separations. An additional
pound of steel was added the filet to make 132# rail.

Clear as mud ?

Harry Bundy