611 move to East End Shops

Thu Sep 6 13:56:41 EDT 2007

I agree with Ken in that it probably wasn't malicious. Keep in mind, NS wanted to wash their hands of the steam program as quickly as possible after goode made the final decision. With that mind set, using bolts instead of staybolts was a whole lot quicker. Looking at the engine now, it is missing some pipework, but there aren't any main A-specific pieces missing the would keep it from running.......except that blank check to pay for it.

Will Sadler

Not necessarily, I don't know, and can't say it was malicious, but
there are a variety of parts, i.e. air pumps, that were completely
rebuilt, sitting in plastic on the shop floor that were sold, empty
shells were placed back on the locomotive, when it would have been as
simple to hang the rebuilt pumps back on. There are no flues and
tubes in the locomotive, there are hardware store bolts holding the
firebox together, not stays. Both flues, tubes and staybolts for 1218
were sold at the auction. Now there was/is a boxcar with a bunch of
parts shipped back to Roanoke with 1218, that stayed with it while
stored in the old paint shop.

It could run again, probably, but the costs of doing such are
exponentially higher because of missing materials that were already
on hand that could have been saved with the locomotive.

Ken Miller