Norfolk Plant closing

Fri Jun 8 17:21:35 EDT 2007

I wonder whether it makes an overall difference from the RR's
standpoint - they give up the parts hauling, but gain on longer-haul
completed vehicles. Presumably, assembling cars in remote plants was
to save on shipping costs in the days when RR haulage of completed
vehicles was very inefficient. Or the newer plants shipped completed
vehicles mainly by road in the days before auto racks.

pete groom