NW gons still in service

Wed Jun 6 00:14:13 EDT 2007

And, of course, it's too old to be used in interchange service any more.

EdKing
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 1:13 PM
Subject: Re: NW gons still in service

As Ed King pointed out, this is a Class G5 gon as indicated by stenciling visible in one of the pictures.

An N & W freight car diagram book lists the following years and builders for the G5 gons:

1952-53 American Bridge
1953-54 Roanoke Shops
1956 American Car & Foundry

Inasmuch as the build date on the car was reported as "looking like 1934," it is likely that it was actually 1954, meaning that this veteran car has the distinction of being a Roanoke Shops built car. It is particularly gratifying to see that this car has survived so long, because gons take a beating from the loading and unloading of all types of commodities with cranes, bucket loaders, etc.

Gordon Hamilton
Sent: Sunday, June 03, 2007 7:21 PM
Subject: NW gons still in service

Hi all,

I found and shot this gondola spotted up on a siding about a mile (railroad) north of Inman Yard while making a field visit to a project in Atlanta back in March. It's hard to read, but the build date looks like 1934! It's nice to see old equipment like this still in service, and I thought I'd share!

Enjoy!

Ed