Special Function

Sun May 13 21:23:19 EDT 2007

Several people have posted correct information about NS 34 research vehicle,
so here are just a few more details furnished by a member of the NS Research
& Test Dept.

This vehicle represents a fundamental difference of philosophy about
measuring track geometry. Some railroads and agencies use a relatively
lightweight, self-propelled vehicle for that purpose, whereas NS, and
possibly others, believe that the geometry should be measured when the track
is deflected as if under a loaded car. Hence the use of a ballasted former
slug as instrument car NS 34.

Lasers on NS 34 measure such things as rail head contour (indication of
wear), rail cant and gauge. Gyros and other sensors measure such things as
alignment of each rail, elevation of each rail, etc. The output of the
sensors are sent by wire and fiber optics to NS 33 for analysis and
recording.

NS 34 furnishes the electrical power for NS 33, and its shortened fuel tank
is clearly visible in the photos. Putting the power generator on NS 34
provides a quiet environment for the R & T crew in NS 33.

Using a former slug for the instrument car eliminates the problems
experienced with the previous NS self-contained track geometry car, which is
now in the Virginia Museum of Transportation in Roanoke. Because that car
incorporated all of the sensors, it was heavily ballasted, and the heavy
weight caused the truck frames to occasionally develop cracks that had to be
repaired.

Gordon Hamilton

Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2007 9:10 AM
Subject: Special Function