Roanoke Rail walk

Thu Feb 1 06:02:25 EST 2007

I visited Roanoke yesterday and made a few new discoveries. I have also attached links to a few photos. And, I have a few questions.

One, there are three old steam era coal hoppers outside the VMT yard tracks. Did these come from the scrap yard where the "lost engines" are located?
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/100_1704.jpg

Another is, where did the wig wag signal out in front of VMT come from? I couldn't help but manually work it a little bit to hear the old bell clang! I want one for my private collection iffen anyone has one to donate. : )
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/100_1707.jpg

Did these locomotive wheelsets also come out of the same scrapyard as the hoppers? Are they from Y6's?
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/100_1714.jpg

Who restored these signals? Was it the Roanoke Chapter, individuals, or some other group?
Here's the Color position light.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/100_1717.jpg
Here's the Position light signal.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/100_1718.jpg

And, whose idea was it to do all this to begin with? I didn't know any of this was there until yesterday!

Ben Blevins