Hagerstown

Thu Oct 12 09:34:30 EDT 2006

Scribit Mason, on X/X/MMVI :

I agree and would add to Rick's comment that according to an interview with an early veteran in the N&W Magazine, the telegraph office was originally named Vardo. The name Shomo appeared and was the name of a popular worker from the construction company that built this yard.
<<

Mason,

Could you elaborate on the 1954 N&W Magazine article, viz. quote or scan and post it?

The nuance I pick up from your message is that there might have been a telegraph office / train order office, or some other facility (passing siding?) at Vardo before the yard was constructed there. The good musings of that "early veteran of the N&W Magazine" might shed some light.

-- abram burnett