Helpers: Roanoke to Christiansburg

Tue Oct 10 19:52:11 EDT 2006

On thinking things over, I definitely recall hearing another version of the helper operation, which is as follows.

Two assisting engines would be used ahead of the road engine, between Glenvar and Elliston. At Elliston, one of the assisting engines stayed on the head end of the train, and the other cut away and went to the rear end to push up the grade.

I recall seeing, some years ago, a special instruction in the timetable (1900-1906 vintage ? ) concerning assisting engines on westbound trains, crossing over at Elliston to drop back to the rear of the train.

-- abram burnett