Wye Near Lofton and Roanoke District Double track

Tue Sep 26 13:45:46 EDT 2006

Nathan,

The wye was located on the west side of the track, just to the north of the road crossing at Lofton VA. The south leg came off near the road crossing. If you drive alongside the track heading northward at the garage you can still see some traces of the roadbed for the north leg as it returns to the main track.

There are some photos of a Class Y being turned on this track in an issue of the N&W magazine, but when I was preparing the Shenandoah book I was unable to locate the print in the collection at VPI&SU.

Mason Cooper