N&W CPL signals

Thu Aug 10 09:53:40 EDT 2006

To my fellow CPL enthusiasts,
I am the one with the restored CPL that wrote an article in the Arrow about it. There are a few of us on this list who have one, but let me tell you, it is NOT EASY! He're a quick story about how I got mine.

In 1996 NS began preparations to take out the signals on the Pulaski District where I live. I asked a signal maintainer if I could get one and he replied "You'd have better luck getting an act of Congress." Another one in the same crowd said "Just take one when they lay them down beside the tracks." That didn't agree with me. I'm not a thief.

I then wrote public relations and asked about getting one. They first replied they didn't donate outmoded equipment to individuals. I sent back a reply, apologizing for the misunderstanding, but I told them I wanted to BUY one, not get something for nothing, and since I had seen many many outmoded railroad items at fleamarkets, etc, I was sure there was a "legal" way to get it.

They then got me in contact with a man in Atlanta who had the foreman for the signal gang meet up with me and we picked out a signal near my father in law's house and when the time came they laid it over in his yard. I then met the man again, paid him, got my receipt, and dismantled the thing and took it to my house.

The thing was damaged and I needed more parts.

A couple years later they took down another installation in Abingdon, and I called the same guy about gettings the arms (heads) off of that one. He said the policy had changed, so he put me in touch with someone in Roanoke who refused to sell them to me unless I bought a whole gondola load of them. I then wrote David Goode himself, told him the pinch I was in for needing a few more parts, and the guy called me back and sold me the arms off that signal. I sent the payment, got my receipt in the mail, went to Abingdon, dismantled the arms and brought them home.

I understand that now this is not even possible anymore. So, I don't know...

Ben Blevins

>Group:

>I am trying to figure out the best way of obtaining a couple of the

>N&W distinctive color position light dwarf signals. Growing up along

>the N&W near Circleville, Ohio I remember seeing these signals in

>places. Of course, I never asked anyone at the time about them, and

>with the phasing out of the PL style signals, I am fearing I may be to

>late.

>Does anyone have a contact or address I could write to inquiry about

>this? I sincerely appreciate your help and insight into this.

>Eric

I'd like to know too, and what about the regular CPLs? I asked this
question some time ago over on Trainorders, but did not get much of an
answer. Have also read an article in the Arrow about a member with their
CPL.

Joel