passenger exchg: N&W-PRR

Wed Aug 9 21:23:15 EDT 2006

I always thought that during the "steam era," the N&W diner operated from Roanoke to Shenandoah, as the last car in the train No. 2. It was removed at Shenandoah where it was held for southbound No. 1.

According to Mr. Newton's book, I believe, the regular diner was 1015 until it was retired to be made into a business car.

I understand that thereafter, 1017 was the diner assigned to this route on a regular basis.

Anyone have any more details on this?

Jim Brewer