NW-Mailing-List Digest, Vol 6, Issue 18

Wed Jul 12 12:49:02 EDT 2006

>Something to think about, you could run a train from the new site there

>in what is it Montgomery County? North to Front Royal and then onto

>Harrisburg?

I'm hoping for Memphis-Chattanooga-Knoxville-Wytheville-Roanoke-Harrisburg
dedicated trailer service... but there are a lot of obstacles to overcome.
For starters, you're not going to get owner-operators off the road, period.
That leaves corporate trailer traffic...all terminals so far are top-lift
(Elliston will be too), not circus-ramp loading, top-lift requires special
reinforced trailers, which weigh more. Luckily, more and more corporate
trailers are going to top-lift, but there is still a long way to go.

>Plus the Heartland Corridor May help a little on I81 traffic

>by taking the traffic coming from the west headed north off the road.

If you were driving from Chicago-Detroit-Columbus-or even Prichard, and your
destination is the north/northeast... you won't hit I-81 till Hagerstown
anyway (that's being generous... most traffic will be on the PA Turnpike,
not I-70). Any rail traffic coming west will be for Norfolk, and it will be
container. All the figures they give are for taking projected traffic from
APM/Mearsk off the road. While that does technically count, it's shading
the numbers to me, as there will be no real truck traffic reduction.

I'm not against the Heartland Corridor by any means, but people need to be
realistic about it.

>Also I stand corrected on the Blocks 202 has I for some reason thought

>Rutherford and Harrisburg were one in the same with Rutherford being an

>Intermodel yard in Harrisburg.

You're right... there are two terminals in Harrisburg... Harrisburg and
Rutherford... 202/226 carries blocks for E-rail, Morrisville and Rutherford.

>Also word from an engineer friend on mine

>here on the valley states that 202 is a regular now on the Valley, but

>it would help if someone can confirm.

I live in Dublin, 202 isn't exactly a regular... yet. There was a few weeks
or so when he was, but now he isn't... he's been off and on since
December... thank the TOP.