Hot water pump and coolers

Wed Jul 12 08:36:26 EDT 2006

"How and where was the water removed? What quantities of water are we talking about?"

The water will condense and collect in the air reservoir. On the lowest part of the reservoir there will be a drain cock that would need to be opened to drain the water out.

The quanity would depend on how humid the air is and how often the reservoir has been drained.

On diesels, I have drained as much as a gallon or so out of each reservoir. The reservoirs had to be drained by hand until the application of air driers and spitters. I'm sure you have heard those annoying spitters if you have been around Conrail units. Sometimes air driers will stick open causing a loss of main reservoir pressure.
Jimmy Lisle