steam loco question

Tue Jun 27 21:30:15 EDT 2006

I won't repeat the answers given so far, which are all correct and well
explained, but there's two more factors, as it's been explained to me over the
years (I'm an old electron pusher, so I take these things on faith): were not
most steam locomotives built with a certain amount of lateral motion allowed
in the journal boxes? Even thought the frame and bearings would hold the
driving axles parallel, the ability to shift laterally slightly would also help.
Secondly, while in the ideal case the conicity of the wheel sets would
eliminate or minimize flange contact, in the real world there is flange contact.
As long as the angle of attack of the flange is small and the shape of the
flange is correct, the wheel will not climb, but rather the flange will keep
the wheel in place. The geometry of the flange and rail head result in a
measure called the "L/V" ratio, the ratio of the lateral force (which tends to
cause flange climb) to the vertical force (which keeps the wheel in place). I
have read what a desired limit of the L/V ratio is but I confess I didn't
commit it to memory.

Dave Phelps

In a message dated 6/27/2006 9:16:08 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,