Scioto Div. station info needed

Wed May 3 10:09:20 EDT 2006

Don't know about New Boston coke but Allied Chemical's coke at Ironton was shipped out nightly for a Waverly interchange to Detroit to the tune of approximately 40 cars each night 7days a week. Even thought the DT&I terminated in Ironton the N&W had to furnish the hoppers for the movement because it was interchanged 55 miles away at Waverly and the DT& I did not have to share revenue for the local movement across the N&W yard at Ironton into the Allied Chemical plant.

During the only strike I can remember by the N&W that left the DT&I still operating I operated a small fleet of dumps via a contractor to load coke for Detroit across the yard (1 mile) into DT&I (N&W hoppers as well as DT&I) and because Allied Chemical wanted a fixed price vs hourly it turned into a $1,000.00 hour per truck and the family company was getting over $100.00 per hour per truck to cut the bills. BEST TRUCK MOVEMENT WE EVER ENJOYED! I didn't catch this result until I noticed that the small truck operator and his drivers had not left the job for over 30 hours. They had never seen such a good deal and knew it was only y good for a few days.

Oakie G. Ford
IRONTON, OH

Sent: Monday, May 01, 2006 3:33 PM
Subject: Re: Scioto Div. station info needed

Yes indeed and No.1 track in Springfield yard (now IORY) still has 1924 Belgium rail and some of the precast concrete fence posts are still around. Springfield yard used to be full of N&W interchange traffic from Waverly for those DT&I SG-1/ GS-2 turns of Coal and New Boston coke years ago for Ford and Detroit.

Terry Mefford
Springfield Oh.

Terry

I was down in Waverly several years ago at the site of the now gone DTI depot and while looking at the rail in the DTI yard discovered that it still had some sticks of rail made in Belgium, a reminder of the Henry Ford era.

Jim Kehn