Housekeeping

Thu Apr 20 08:20:52 EDT 2006

I would rather read about the earliest memories of our oldest members and resources about the N&W before they are gone. I want to know about the 1930's most of all - The colors of things, the way the engines performed, and their qwirks.
I wanna know what brought about the changes as things progressed into the 1940's and 1950's.
What part did really bad weather, and disasters have on the N&W?
How did company politics play on development of the railroad and equipment?

I grew up in Alexandria, VA and was exposed to lots of railroads; SRR, ACL, SCL, RF&P, W&OD to name a few. Even C&O and PRR a little. My great-grandfather was an inventor working as a consultant for the SRR in the late 1920's. However, I'm JUST interested in the Norfolk & Western these days. That is the railroad I like best, and that is the one I want to model. I really don't care about the ACL loco's. I've painted a few brass ones, but flatland costal RR's don't catch my interest as much as one with many more techological problems to overcome. Those engines were much more spectacular as far as performance. Sorry Bill.

Mark Lindsey
Stuck in the 1930's.